I came home not long after midnight and as soon as the taxi driver opened the door I said 'Smoke.' He agreed there was a strong smell of smoke.
By the time he had gotten the wheelchair out the car the smoke was visible as well as olfactory. It was obviously coming from somewhere up the street but I couldn't see where. As soon as got in the house I dialed 999.
I had to explain to the operator that I didn't know where the fire was or if there was even a real problem - just a lot of smoke. She sent the fire engine anyway and a few minutes later it sped up the street. Job done I thought as I felt like less of a time waster.
About twenty-five minutes later there was a knock at my door and there was a fireman there. I was fully expecting a telling off for calling the fire brigade for something that was possibly entirely innocent. He told me that an older gent up the street had put a load of household rubbish on his fire and it was flames shooting up his chimney that had caused the smoke. Apparently his house was filling with smoke too. They knocked the fire back, aired the house and supplied him with two smoke detectors.
The fire man seemed very appreciative and left with a cheery wave. "Good call. Nice one mate..."